How To Apply
- Do not apply online*. Please send application materials directly to Sarah Truckle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Vermont Agency of Human Services is seeking qualified candidates for the State Medicaid Director position to oversee the Vermont Medicaid program. Vermont Medicaid is administered through several departments within the Agency of Human Services: the Department of Health Access serves as the State’s Medicaid managed care entity; the Department of Health oversees programs for alcohol and substance use disorders and for children with special health needs; the Department of Mental Health and Department of Disabilities, Aging, and Independent Living oversee Vermont’s Home and Community-Based Services; and the Department for Children and Families administers Medicaid-funded programs for individuals in foster care, receiving targeted case management, and early invention services. The Department of Corrections is also housed in the Agency of Human Services and strong coordination of services in and out of facilities is a priority of the Medicaid program.
This position will set and lead strategic priorities for Vermont Medicaid. This will require close coordination and partnership with the departments within the Agency of Human Services.
The Principal Duties Of The Position Include
- Directing strategic initiatives such as improving managed care oversight; sister state agency partnership and restructuring; advancing population health and strategies to improve social factors that contribute to health; and promoting health equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Engaging a wide range of stakeholders including executive branch leadership, the legislature, provider groups and trade associations on topics such as significant program initiatives, budget and policy expectations, and enforcement of Medicaid requirements and federal/state mandates across departments.
- Ensuring effective staff management, including oversight of Medicaid activities and priorities across departments.
- Directing and evaluating programs and services, including budget and finance alignment, working with federal partners, overseeing activities associated with general operations and compliance, and empowering teams to work outside functional siloes and maintain active relationships across the organization to contribute to larger agency goals.
- Oversee the Agency’s $1.7B Medicaid budget crossing all six departments.
- Set and lead strategic priorities for Vermont Medicaid in addition to serving as the Agency’s primary point of contact with the CMS.
The ideal candidate has strong business acumen and political savvy and is skilled at:
- Developing, directing, and delegating others
- Leadership and personnel management
- Leading innovation and strategic planning
- Developing vision and purpose
- Communicating vision internally and externally
- Communicating effectively to internal and external audiences
- Managing conflict and negotiating key issues
- Leading innovation and managing change
- Technical learning (understanding complex Medicaid rules/systems)
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Statement The State of Vermont celebrates diversity, and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect and meaningful inclusion that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The State does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, membership in an employee organization, family medical history or genetic information, or family or parental status. The State’s employment decisions are merit-based. Retaliatory adverse employment actions by the State are forbidden.