Human Services – Virginia Beach Blvd offices
A.18, $79,393.60 – $120,369.60
Minimum of the Pay Range
Monday-Friday; 8am – 5pm
Part Time Hours/Wk:
The City of Virginia Beach is seeking an experienced administrator to oversee the Department of Human Services Eligibility Benefits Program. Responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide supervision, consultation and leadership for the program of 161 full-time equivalent and contract positions.
- Oversee and administer eligibility benefits programs, most of which are funded by the federal and state government. Programs include the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Medicaid, Energy Assistance, Child Care, Virginia Initiative for Education and Work (VIEW) and local programs which include General Relief and the City’s Water Assistance Program. As it relates to these programs, this position oversees services and benefits to over 70,000 Virginia Beach residents and a total budget of over $15 million dollars.
- Ensure state and federal goals are met and program is in compliance with federal, state, and local policies; develop corrective action plans as needed and interpret agency policies and programs for other agencies and the public; analyze and monitor the effectiveness of service delivery within the department and ensure timely responses to clients’ needs, achieving state and federal mandates.
- Directly supervise two (2) Eligibility Coordinators, two (2) Human Services specialists I’s and one (1) Administrative Assistant.
- Work closely with state and federal officials; elected officials, citizens and other community and state organizations and partners.
- Interpret agency policies and programs for other agencies and the public.
- Receive and respond to community inquires, concerns, and complaints and continuously monitor and analyze the effectiveness of service delivery within the department.
- Participate in the development of new initiatives, business process improvements and resources; receive and make appropriate referrals, and develop new resources to enhance the departments services to clients.
- Serve on the department’s Senior Leadership team as well as other task force groups and collaborate with other agencies to bridge the gaps in services and programs.
- Prepare regular reports for the Deputy Director on divisional activities and collaborate with the administrative team to ensure total agency effectiveness.
Minimum Qualifications: Requires a Bachelor’s degree or higher and eight (8) years of experience associated with positions such as director or assistant director of a small social services agency or supervisor of a social services program unit OR any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or experience equivalent to twelve (12) years in fields providing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Special Requirements: All employees may be expected to work hours in excess of their normally scheduled hours in response to short-term department needs and/or City-wide emergencies.
DMV Transcript: Required
CDL: Not Required
DOT History: Not Required
CPS Check: Not Required
Physical: Not Required
Respirator: Not Required
Polygraph Review: Not Required
Psychological Screening: Not Required
Bachelor’s degree in or higher in a related field.
Ten (10) or more years of experience in positions such as director or assistant director of a small social services agency or as supervisor of a social services program or unit.
Fourteen (14) or more years of experience in working in public benefit programs to interpreting polices as well as federal, state and local regulations related to eligibility programs.
Experience working with eligibility benefits case management systems.
Five (5) or more years of experience with strategic planning, process improvement, quality improvement tools and methods, and use of results-based accountability in a human service agency.
Five (5) or more years of experience working with performance management systems, using evaluation tools and metrics, and applying data driven decision making.
Three (3) or more years of experience leading multiple teams and managing multiple projects, budgets and funding streams.
Three (3) or more years of experience facilitating presentations to groups varying in size, including staff, leaders, elected officials and/or other organizations and or providers.
- Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
- You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser’s printing capability.
- Your responses to any “Supplemental Questions”, if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified you will not receive credit.
- Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.