This position is located in the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Center for Medicare, Division within the Medicare Drug Benefit and C&D Data Group(MDBG).
As a HEALTH INSURANCE SPEC, GS-0107-13, you will perform a wide range of special ad hoc projects to support policy and/or program oversight related to Medicare Advantage and Medicare Drug Benefit programs.
- Develop, implement, and maintain operational requirements, including standard operating procedures, as well as databases to manage and analyze programmatic information such as routine and ad hoc report, deliverables, and programmatic documentation.
- Respond to routine inquiries regarding program operations and policies to a variety of internal and external stakeholders (e.g., beneficiaries, providers, representatives of public and private organizations, and other government organizations).
- Apply evaluation skills to proposed program changes to determine organizational impact on operations.
- Provide data in the form of charts, reports, and graphics to leadership to facilitate informed decision-making.
- Work with other CMS staff and stakeholders, either as a member of a project team or as a project lead, to develop methods for innovative approaches for determining and assuring the reliability and validity of data.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel up to 5% for this position.
- Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
- Time-in-Grade restrictions apply.
ALL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
Your resume must include detailed information as it relates to the responsibilities and specialized experience for this position. Evidence of copying and pasting directly from the vacancy announcement without clearly documenting supplemental information to describe your experience will result in an ineligible rating. This will prevent you from receiving further consideration.
In order to qualify for the GS-13 , you must meet the following: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one year (52 weeks) of qualifying specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal government, obtained in either the private or public sector, to include: 1. Developing, implementing, and maintaining operational requirements related to Medicare Advantage (Part C) and Medicare Drug Benefit (Part D) programs. 2. Working as a project lead or a member of a project, to develop methods for determining and assuring data integrity. AND 3. Developing project plans to ensure logistics are handled efficiently.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Time-in-Grade: To be eligible, current Federal employees must have served at least 52 weeks (one year) at the next lower grade level from the position/grade level(s) to which they are applying.
Click The Following Link To View The Occupational Questionnaire
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
Tour of Duty: Flexible
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
Full-Time Telework Program for CMS Employees: CMS employees currently participating in 100% Full-Time Telework Program may be eligible to remain in the program. If an employee in this program is selected, the pay will be set in accordance with the locality pay for the applicable duty station. The listed salary range reflects the locality pay assigned to the duty location(s) listed in the vacancy announcement. For more information about pay based on locality, please visit the
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced federal employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit the required documentation and be rated well-qualified for this vacancy.
Additional Forms REQUIRED Prior To Appointment
- Optional Form 306, Declaration of Federal Employment and the Background/Suitability Investigation – A background and suitability investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the successful completion of the investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. If selected, the Optional Form 306 will be required prior to final job offer.
- Form I-9, Employment Verification and the Electronic Eligibility Verification Program – CMS participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers. If selected, the Form I-9 will be required at the time of in-processing.
- Standard Form 61, Appointment Affidavits – If selected, the Standard Form 61 will be required at the time of in-processing.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your online application, resume, and CMS required documents will be used to determine if you meet eligibility and qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Oral Communication
- Project Management
- Technical Competence
- Written Communication
Additional selections may be made from this announcement for similar positions within CMS in the same geographical location. For Central Office vacancies, the “same geographical location” includes Baltimore, Maryland; Bethesda, Maryland; and Washington, D.C.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Trust determination process
- Required Documents
The Following Documents Are REQUIRED
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must indicate your citizenship and if you are registered for Selective Service if you are a male born after 12/31/59. Your resume must also list your work experience and education (if applicable) including the start and end dates (mm/yyyy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, you must include the series and grade level for the position(s). Your resume will be used to validate your responses to the assessment tool(s). For resume and application tips visit:
- CMS Required Documents (e.g., SF-50, DD-214, SF-15, etc.). Current CMS employees are REQUIRED to submit a copy of their most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) at the time of application. Additional documents may also be required to be considered for this vacancy announcement.
PLEASE NOTE: A complete application package includes the online application, resume, and CMS required documents. Please carefully review the full job announcement to include the “Required Documents” and “How to Apply” sections. Failure to submit the online application, resume and CMS required documents, will result in you not being considered for employment.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
Your complete application package, as described in the “Required Documents” section, must be received by 11:59 PM ET on 07/08/2021 to receive consideration.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR WORK EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION.
Please Ensure EACH Work History Includes ALL Of The Following Information
We strongly encourage applicants to utilize the USAJOBS resume builder in the creation of resumes.
- Official Position Title (include series and grade if Federal job)
- Duties (be specific in describing your duties)
- Employer’s name and address
- Supervisor name and phone number
- Start and end dates including month and year (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008)
- Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Determining length of general or specialized experience is dependent on the above information and failure to provide ALL of this information WILL result in a finding of ineligible.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
- Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The decision to grant reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Commissioned Corps Officers (including Commissioned Corps applicants that are professionally boarded) who are interested in applying for this position must send their professional resume (not PHS Curriculum Vitae) and cover letter to
CMS employees who are currently appointed under Schedule A authority and are interested in applying for this position must submit their resume, Schedule A documentation, transcripts (if positive education required or qualifying through education substitution), and cover letter (optional) to email@example.com. You MUST include the Job Announcement Number in the subject line of the email to receive consideration for the position. For additional information regarding Schedule A authority
Agency contact information
Center for Medicare
7500 Security Blvd
Woodlawn, MD 21244
Once your online application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated to determine your eligibility and qualifications for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another email notification regarding the status of your application.
Within 30 business days of the closing date,07/08/2021, you may check your status online by logging into your USAJOBS account (
- Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on
Clipped from: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/health-insurance-spec-at-centers-for-medicare-medicaid-services-2629854411/?utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic