Clipped from: https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Remote/Associate-Director—State-Government-Affairs—Advocacy_R319?mode=job&iis=Job+Board+-+Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com
- LOCATION: REMOTE NJ, DC OR MD
The Associate Director, State Government Affairs & Advocacy, Mid Atlantic Region will be responsible for interfacing with patient advocacy groups, professional associations, government officials, and coalitions to align healthcare policy, advocacy, and legislative priorities at the state level. Other responsibilities include;
- Develop strategies and coordinate initiatives with alliances that promote access to therapies, preserve patient/provider choice, and eliminate barriers to treatment.
- Help shape and influence healthcare policies and provide feedback to OAPI regarding emerging regulatory/legislative issues that impact OAPI business.
- Interact with state policy decision-makers and influencers, advocacy leaders, governor’s office policy staff, relevant state legislative committee chairs, members, and support staff and Medicaid policy officials regarding issues impacting access to the continuum of care within the health care delivery system, in accordance with OAPI strategic objectives.
- Develop working partnerships to support OAPI goals (i.e. consumer advocacy groups, professional associations, provider/medical organizations, government agencies, government officials, community leaders)
- Identify key influencer stakeholders and work within a team environment to develop strategies to effectively support OAPI policy positions.
- Conduct all activities in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations and company policies.
- Position OAPI policy platform and corporate commitment; liaising between State MH authority, Medicaid Directors, and Patient Advocacy organizations.
- Monitor federal, state, and local payer systems and regulatory/legislative trends that potentially impact access to treatment and OAPI initiatives.
- Gain insight regarding risks, issues, and opportunities through alliance development, translating into value-added propositions.
- Represent OAPI in state PhRMA task force activities within assigned states.
- Manage relationships and activities with local lobbying counsel in support of OAPI’s crisis issues and/or opportunities.
- Communicate potential access risks to internal OAPI team with a sense of urgency, embracing a “no surprises” philosophy.
- Collaborate cross-functionally across OAPI departments to ensure favorable access/non-disadvantaged positioning.
- Develop and implement state/regional advocacy plans on an annual basis.
- Participate and drive in Matrix Team meetings.
- Execute appropriate marketing/policy initiatives with stakeholders through discussions, formal presentations, workshops, and programs as directed.
- Implement patient and caregiver education and outreach programs via advocacy and professional organizations as directed.
- Represent OAPI at state/local conferences, symposia, and events, with the goal of becoming a recognized partner within the stakeholder community.
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge in federal, state, and local healthcare delivery systems, payer reimbursement, and policies impacting access to appropriate treatment.
- Establish a network of key patient advocacy groups, professional associations, and coalitions.
- Working knowledge of state policy and legislative environment; preferred executive-level lobby and regulatory experience.
- Neuroscience and Nephrology disease state knowledge is preferred.
- Proven track record in aligning and mobilizing advocacy organizations to shape the healthcare environment and advance initiatives.
- Established high-level relationships with a network of key thought leaders and influencers.
- 3-5 years within the pharmaceutical industry preferred; with direct reports and/or manager-level positions.
- Experience in working with Matrix Teams. Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated networking, consensus building, and influencing skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, interacting with both external and internal audiences.
- Critical thinking skills, relationship management, conflict resolution, and the ability to work collaboratively.
- Demonstrated skills in leading and managing projects and the ability to work cross-functionally.
- Ability to effectively position messaging to multiple stakeholders, while working towards a common goal.
- Strong strategic planning ability, considering short-term and long-term implications of initiatives.
- Ability to quickly distill complex information from multiple sources into an easy-to-understand message.
- Self-starter, ability to proactively direct and manage cross-functional and cross-geographic teams.
- Ability to foster stakeholder cooperation; coordinate projects, manage community partnerships.
- Ability to be tenacious and resilient under pressure, while maintaining a strong sense of integrity.
- Scenario planning skills; recommend novel strategies to mitigate risk and capitalize on opportunities.
Disclaimer: This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.
Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
Job postings, job offers, or introductions to enter into a business relationship with Otsuka through a third-party vendor may be unauthorized. Avoid being the subject of a scam by dealing only directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External . Any authorized third-party vendor job boards should redirect any inquiry to this Otsuka Career website.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. is a global healthcare company with the corporate philosophy: “Otsuka–people creating new products for better health worldwide.” In the U.S., Otsuka is comprised of two companies, Otsuka America Pharmaceutical, Inc., and Otsuka Pharmaceutical Development & Commercialization, Inc., that share a deep commitment to the development and commercialization of innovative products in the spaces of neuroscience, nephrology, and digital medicine.
Driven by our purpose to defy limitation, so that others can too, we have an unwavering belief in doing more and transcending expectations. In going above and beyond—under any circumstances—for patients, families, providers, and for each other. It’s this deep-rooted dedication that drives us to uncover answers to complex, underserved medical needs, so that patients can push past the limitations of their disease and achieve more than they thought was possible each and every day.
OPDC and OAPI are indirect subsidiaries of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Ltd., which is a subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The Otsuka group of companies employed 47,000 people worldwide and had consolidated sales of approximately USD 13 billion in 2019.
We invite you to explore our open positions for an opportunity to join our 1,700 colleagues in the U.S. whose passion for our mission and pride in our company have earned us certification as a Great Place to Work by the Great Place to Work Institute.