Vendor Review for Medicaid Vendor Partner Readiness
- Overall Assessment
- Basic Info
- Relevant Leadership Experience
- Brand Perception
- Clarity of Value Proposition
- Funding Model
- Grant funded tech startup initially focused on building referral networks to address social determinants in NYC and has been expanding to other cities. Began with CMMI grant.
- Leadership Medicare and Medicaid experience limited
- Strong brand perception
- Focus on clear outcomes important in Medicaid markets
What they do
Uses screenings and assessments to identify social determinants needs and make referrals.
Self-stated value proposition
NowPow is a women-owned and led technology company that provides communities with the information people need to get well, care for others, and manage with disease through its multi-sided self-care referral platform. NowPow’s platform supports participants in the referral process by building and managing community resource networks. With a focus on referrals that address basic needs and chronic disease management, NowPow partners with healthcare providers and community-based organizations to identify these needs, provide highly matched referrals, facilitate closed loop referrals, support bi-directional patient engagement, and document referral outcomes. NowPow is based on the research of founder Dr. Stacy Lindau, who established the idea of “e-prescribing community” to connect health care to self-care. In addition to delivering targeted self-care interventions, NowPow also supports automated interventions that build resource awareness across large populations. Through its community resource network management strategy, NowPow supports ecosystem data aggregation to capture insights at a macro level.
NowPow equips hospitals, healthcare centers, and community organizations with the ability to provide after-visit "e-prescriptions" for nearby vital resources that are important for health and wellbeing. NowPow's microtargeted resources empower healthcare providers to offer a greater level of care with the potential for improved health outcomes.
None reported. So far grant funding and some loans. Est <$15M at this time; Charges large health systems between $50-$150k/ yr to subscribe
Estimated @ 100
Points Possible: 212
Points Earned: 46.5
CEO (or similar)
Click for Bio (self-reported)
Dr. Lindau’s research lab engineers solutions to injustices that impede health and compromise health care. Her interest is improving patients’ ability to access strengths and resources in the community.
Information Systems Executive (or similar)
Product/Solution Executive (or similar)
Click for Bio (self-reported)
As Head of Product at NowPow, Cindy manages the company’s entire product line with the vision of delivering elegant, intuitive, and game-changing products. Cindy is responsible for defining the product roadmap and release planning at NowPow. She has experience leading teams in agile software development including all aspects of the development lifecycle from researching customer needs, prototyping, user testing, articulating product positioning, and defining business requirements and acceptance criteria for new functionality. Over the past three years, Cindy has led NowPow’s efforts to successfully bring six new products to market with the goal of connecting patients to the right resources to meet their needs so they can get healthy and stay well.
Points possible: 95
Points earned: 85
- Promising Medicaid client base with hospital and MCO clients in NY, Chicago and other cities
- Strong press coverage in last 12 months
- Limited Glassdoor reviews, but pattern of concerns with management are a concern. Indeed reviews are all positive and more recent.
Points possible: 60
Points earned: 60
- Clear focus on referrals for SDOH benefits
- Independent study by RTI evaluated inmpact of ED visits and readmissions
- Solution custom fit to the Medicaid population
Points possible: 50
Points earned: 26
- Mid-level delivery and product staff are predominantly interns and early-career researchers
- Staffing trends are increasing, especially for tech and product support roles
pre Venture Capital
Trend in funding rounds
Possibly stalling. $1.5M loan from Benefit Chicago fund in 2015, but no additional investment reported after that
Matter, Chicago Innovation Exchange Business Incubator