Merger, Acquisitions and Partnerships
- Approved by DOJ in November, announced as closed Nov 28, 2018.
- Aetna had to drop Medicare Part D ops to get approval. Overall integration is valued at $69B.
- During the DOJ process, Aetna sold Medicare Part D plans to WellCare in September. Included 2.2M members. WellCare funded its purchase entirely with cash reserves.
- CVS and Aetna were competing on Part D services to 6.8M members nationwide.
- Going into deal, CVS had 4.8M members in drug plans, with revenue of $185B in 2017.
Finalized Dec 20, 2018.
Total $67B acquisition of Express Scripts by Cigna.
Value prop in press is enhanced analytics capabilities and acceleration of value based care efforts.
Closed July. Humana bought the home health / hospice provider for $4.1B. Sale brokered by TPG Capital and Welsh, Carson, Anderson and Stowe. Is paired with deal to by Curo Health Services (another hospice provider).
Deal was announced in late 2017, but struggled to get through FTC process most of 2018. As of December, price was $4.3B with some questions over whether DaVita was as strong as initially thought when deal began. Original price was $4.9B.
Will offer a combined Medicare Advantage plan in multiple markets in 2020.
Ascension has 2,600 sites of care. 152 hospitals, 50 senior living facilities.
Harvard Pilgrim/Partners Healthcare
Announced plans in summer, put on hold November. Press out of C-Suite said “deal was getting too complicated.”
What will Walgreens do?
See owler, crunch base, etc